Skip To Main Content

Special Non-Resident Exemption (AB540)

Special Non-Resident Exemption (AB540)

California Non-Resident Tuition Exemption (Assembly Bill 540)
This bill became effective on January 1, 2002. Students who have attended a California high school for three years and received a California high school diploma (or its equivalent), are exempt from non-resident tuition.

Students who meet all of the following criteria will qualify for this tuition exemption:

  • Attended a California high school for three or more years
  • Graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent (e.g., passed the GED in California or the California High School Proficiency Exam)
  • In the case of a student without lawful immigration status, an affidavit must be filed with the college that indicates the student has applied for legalization or will do so as soon as the student is eligible to do so

In order to qualify, you must submit all of the following documentation:

  • A signed affidavit indicating you have either applied for lawful immigration status or intend to apply as soon as you are eligible
  • Your official California high school transcript showing your attendance for three or more years
  • If your high school graduation has not posted on your California high school transcript, you must also submit your official GED certificate or California High School Proficiency Certificate

This law does not grant residency. The benefit is available to all U.S. citizens, permanent residents of the U.S., and aliens who are not non-immigrants (including those who are undocumented), who meet all the above criteria.

Read more about the Special Non-Resident Exemption in The College Guide for Immigrant Students.

Lea más sobre la exención especial de no residente en The College Guide for Immigrant Students (Guía universitaria para alumnos inmigrantes)
Financial Aid Information