The California Education Codes, Business and Professions Codes, Nurse Practice Act and Board of Registered Nurses provide guidelines for the preparation and practice of school nurses.
The Credentialed School Nurse is especially prepared and uniquely qualified in preventive health, health assessment and referral procedures, as well as Community and Public Health Nursing practices. School nurses strengthen and facilitate the educational process by:
- Improving and protecting the health status of children
- Identification and assistance in the removal or modification of health related barriers to learning
- Creation and implementation of strategies for the prevention of illness and disability
- Early detection and correction of health problems
- Training and supervision of unlicensed personnel assisting with special health care procedures in the school setting
CEC 49426 - "A school nurse is a registered nurse currently licensed under Chapter 6 (commencing with Section 2700 of Division 2 of the Business and Professions Code) and who has completed the additional requirements for, and possesses a current credential in, school nursing pursuant to Section 44877..."
To view full content of California Education Codes go to website: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/