California Education Code 49423 authorizes the school nurse or other trained designated personnel to assist students who are required to have medication at school. SBCUSD Board Policy and Administrative Regulation 5141.21 also provide guidance for this process. Before a designated employee adminsters any prescribed medication, the District must receive the following annually:
- Physician's Request for Medication form signed by the physician and parent. The details for the name of the medication, dose, time, and route of administration must be included on the form as well as the contact information for the physician.
- The medication must be brought to school by a parent or guardian in the original container with a prescription label.
- The same process must be followed for over-the-counter medications to be taken at school.
Students may self administer emergency medications such as inhalers, epi-pens or insulin if the following conditions have been met:
- Physician's Request for Medication form signed by the physician and parent is on file.
- Student has demonstrated the physical, mental and behavioral capability to administer the medication safely.
The parent or guardian must pick up unused medication at the end of the school year. Any medication not picked up will be discarded as recommended by the local health officer and OSHA guidelines.
To view full content of California Education Codes go to website: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/