Procedure to Request to Conduct Research
San Bernardino City Unified School District has an Internal Review Committee that looks at all proposals for research including data requests, interviews, surveys, etc. To complete this process, applicants will need to complete the SBCUSD Request to Conduct Research Form and Volunteer Application and include a copy of their University approved IRB, any proposed surveys or interview questions, and submit these documents and any additional required documents to the Accountability and Educational Technology Department c/o Jeffrey Im.
Within the summary of your project, applicants will be asked to respond to the following aspects concerning their research:
- Quality assurance standards
- Procedures for progress monitoring the project and reporting progress of the project to the district
- Presentation of results
- Record keeping procedures
- Ability to handle encrypted student data
- Conflicts of interest
- Qualifications of the researcher
Guidelines for research requests within the district include the following.
Research projects will:
- Not interfere with instructional time
- Not require additional teacher or administrative duties
- Provide benefit and insight to district practices and policy
- Protect student and teacher rights
- Not identify student or teacher information links to the data
- Comply with survey/interview guidelines (copies of the finalized survey tool/interview questions must be included)
- Have prior approval of the student's university Internal Review Board
- Receive clearance for research participants who need access to school sites or students.
If your project is approved, SBCUSD requires that a copy of the completed research be provided to the Accountability and Educational Technology Department for review prior to publication.