The aims of any MYP subject and of the personal project state in a general way what the teacher may expect to teach and what the student may expect to experience or learn. In addition, they suggest how the student may be changed by the learning experience.
The aims of the teaching and study of MYP arts are for students to:
• understand how the arts play a role in developing and expressing personal and cultural identities
• appreciate how the arts innovate and communicate across time and culture
• become informed and reflective practitioners of the arts
• experience the process of making art in a variety of situations
• explore, express and communicate ideas
• become more effective learners, inquirers and thinkers
• develop self-confidence and self-awareness through art experiences
• appreciate lifelong learning in and enjoyment of the arts.
The objectives of any MYP subject and of the personal project state the specific targets that are set for learning in the subject. They define what the student will be able to accomplish as a result of studying the subject.
As shown in figure 1, the arts objectives interrelate with each other and form the basis of the student’s experience in the arts. Personal engagement surrounds the student at the centre and connects directly with each of the other objectives. These objectives relate directly to the assessment criteria found in the “Arts assessment criteria” section.